Brexit is approaching at an alarming speed, and it leaves many business travellers with concerns and doubts about how travelling for business will look after 31st October. 

Are you prepared for Brexit?

We have answered some of the most common questions to help you when travelling within Europe post Brexit. 

Will I need a visa to travel to Europe?

According to Gov.uk after Brexit, you will not need a visa for short trips, according to European Commission proposals. You can stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer or to work or study.

When the rules are confirmed, information about how to get a visa if you need one will be on each country’s travel advice page.

Whatever happens, it is likely that British travellers won’t be able to join the (generally shorter) EU passport-control queues at airports – so prepare for longer waits.

Will my passport still be valid?

Your passport will still be valid, but you will need at least six months validity remaining on your passport on the date of arrival in that country, rather than simply the duration of your stay. There is now a service set up the govement where you can check if your passport is valid click this link.

Will my UK driving licence be valid? 

According to the department of transport, in the event of no-deal Brexit British drivers would need to apply for an International Driving Permit. The IDP is inexpensive at £5.50, is valid for one year and can be obtained at various post offices in the UK. Ministers have also told motorists that they will need to apply for a green card as proof of third party motor insurance when driving in the EU.

Could the cost of flights increase?

It is difficult to predict but since 2016 we have seen the pound drop considerably against the euro and the US dollar. As fuel is priced in dollars flight prices could start to increase. In addition, the European Union has had an “open-skies” policy since 1994 and this has allowed the low-cost airlines to flourish, and kept the cost of flights low due to the competition. If Britain adopts this policy or a similar policy this will allow for the prices to stay as they are, but this will all depend on what is agreed in the final stages.

Will I still get free mobile and data roaming? 

The EU abolished all roaming charges in June 2017, but once we leave the EU we will not be governed by this rule. It will be up to the individual mobile networks to decide if they want to start charging again for roaming. Whilst Vodafone has already stated they have no plans to start charging for roaming post-Brexit, other companies could start charging.  However, the government have suggested capping charges at £45 for any mobile companies that don’t offer free roaming.

Will my European Health Insurance Card still be valid? 

Currently, the government are suggesting they will keep the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which allows free or reduced-cost medical treatment in Europe. If this is stopped the government have indicated they would introduce a similar scheme. We also suggest our clients obtain private health insurance in addition to the EHIC.

What will happen to duty-free? 

Well, for most business travellers this is not a huge concern. But if you do bring back the odd box of 200 cigarettes or bottle of wine then it’s good news, as the cost of these will be cheaper as you won’t pay the duty on these anymore. However, you will be now limited to one box of 200 of cigarettes and 4 litres of wine.

I hope you found this useful and if you would like any advice on corporate travel or would like some support booking your next business trip contact A&G on 0207 183 0216

 Micala Sansom, Content Marketing